Skip to main content

School Safety Is An Enigma.....


School Safety Is An Enigma.....

School safety doesn’t necessarily translate into schools being safe….or as safe as they can be.

How is that an enigma, you ask?

Well, schools are supposed to be safe learning environments, but engaging in school safety activities often times can be like dragging a horse to water, but getting that horse to drink? Well, that's the school safety enigma. In other words, getting schools to do anything at all in school safety other than mandated drills including active shooter drills, ain't easy by any stretch of the imagination.

For example, listen to Ready As You'll Never Be, and you’ll see what I mean. If you'd like to read the transcript instead of listening to it, there's a link to same on the page.

This interview is with two Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSD) teachers who appear to believe they were as ready as possible for an active shooter in their school. 

But were they, really?

These teachers based their perceptions of readiness on training they’d received prior to the massacre at MSD. They also kind of gave the impression there’s nothing more that could have been done to prepare leading up to the massacre, hence the title of the interview.

The Sun Sentinel, a Florida media outlet, contradicted that perception by characterizing educator and police response to the MSD massacre as Unprepared and Overwhelmed.

Also from the Sun Sentinel:

Deputies who responded to Parkland tragedy hadn’t had active shooter training in years, investigators found

Those two headlines pretty much say it all in my opinion.

And one more from the same publication:

Sheriff Israel defends agency's performance in Parkland shooting

According to this article, Sheriff Israel’s stated agency policy is that deputies “may” rather than “shall” engage an active shooter. He indicated he inserted that language into agency policy himself.

Israel also blamed “bad communications” for problems that day.

As an emergency management specialist (retired), I truly don’t know if I should laugh hysterically, sob uncontrollably, or just bang my head against the wall…..repeatedly!

Following the Columbine massacre, then Colorado Governor Bill Owens signed an executive order creating the Columbine Review Commission to conduct an independent review of that massacre.

The final Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission Initial Report was published January 2, 2018. 

The MSD Report cited Columbine as one of several school shooting benchmarks for identifying and analyzing what went wrong at MSD. 

A comparison using school colors of the two schools to illustrate a few more notable (in my opinion) recommendations from each report:

The “should” recommendations made by the Columbine Review Commission changed to “shall” requirements in Colorado with the passage of two laws; Senate Bill 08-181 requiring emergency management programs in schools, and Senate Bill 11-173 requiring interoperable communications in schools.

The State of Florida created an  Office of Safe Schools in response to the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and to passage of SB 7026, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act. 

Does anyone besides me see what’s going on here? Confused yet?

Were Florida officials who were/are tasked with making schools safe in their state even aware of lessons learned from Columbine prior to the massacre at MSD? 

If they were aware and did nothing in the interim between the Columbine massacre and the massacre at MSD to address their own school safety planning deficiencies, might that not be a bit of a problem?

If they were only trying to address them after the fact, after their own massacre, something I call being reactively proactive, might that not be a bit of a problem? 

If being reactively proactive after the fact is the best we can do, then school safety is, in fact, an enigma….of extraordinary proportions.

My two cents.

* Comments on this blog are moderated.

Comments

  1. I am really impressed with your blog ,such great & useful knowledge you mentioned here. Your post is very informative.  Thanks for sharing and keep it up like this. You can know more please visit Active Shooter Training for Schools.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Anne Marie

  Anne Marie Hochhalter Born December 19, 1981 Died February 16, 2025 Hero Courageous Fighter Fiercely Independent Survivor Advocate Victim Following her death on February 16, 2025, all of the above adjectives have been used to describe who my daughter, Anne Marie Hochhalter, was. Thing is, I never saw her as such. I saw her as my daughter, my first-born child. She will always remain so. Please don't get me wrong. I do believe some of those accolades listed above must have, in fact, applied to Anne Marie. Otherwise, so many people would not be using them to describe their own knowledge of who she was. I just never got to see them or experience them with her as they applied to her at least from December 2009 until her death. I wasn't allowed to (more on that later). There were snippets here and there in media stories, but that was all I got to experience of her activities. But I digress. As most folks already know, Anne Marie was critically injured during the Columbine massacre....

A "Logical Fallacy" Extraordinaire!

The below graphic has been circulating on pro-gun sites for quite awhile now, at least since 2011. I've seen it pop up in different variations many times since then. I'm  sharing it here for one reason, and one reason only: to try to illustrate something known as a logical fallacy.  Numerical statistics can be both a blessing and a curse especially when they're being used as justification for illustrating one's point of view.....in this case doing nothing when talking about, and discussing possible remedies for gun violence in this country. If this is all we are willing to look at, then woe is us. Maybe we need to start calling them illogical truths. I don't know. It's frustrating. By looking at the graphic we can obviously infer what the message is - do nothing because the number of fatalities by assault style weapons is smaller than anything else and pretty minuscule when compared against both drunk drivers and malpractice deaths. So many gun rights...

My Thoughts on 'Civilian' Weaponry

  My Thoughts on 'Civilian' Weaponry I saw an article recently in The Atlantic ( What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns ) on how damages to human flesh done by an AR-15 are different than those caused by some other semi-automatic weapons. That article sat me back on my keister more than just a little bit. Why? Because I believe my daughter is still alive today because an  AR-15 assault style weapon  was NOT the weapon used to critically injure her at Columbine High School April 20, 1999. Rather, the weapon used to shoot my daughter was a  Hi-Point 995 Carbine 9 mm semi-automatic rifle , a semi-automatic long gun. To be perfectly clear, I do not portray the Hi-Point Model 995 Carbine Rifle herein in any way, shape, or form as being anything but a semi-automatic long gun. I’m simply using it as a comparison to the AR-15 and the damages both can inflict based on research and my own personal analysis and experience. The Atlant...